When getting started with cloud migration, make sure to keep these critical considerations in mind.
1. Getting clear, well defined and flexible business goals and priorities.
Make sure to quantify and understand what the business expects from your cloud migration effort and when it expects it. Read our article about setting your goals and priorities for cloud migration.
2. Identifying what can and should be migrated. And what should not.
Understand the common cloud migration scenarios, and assess your application workloads to understand which cloud migration scenario is right for each application. This will also help to identify applications that should stay where they are, or not be replaced until they’ve reached a clear end-of-life. To read more about this, check out our blog on performing a cloud migration assessment to understand workloads.
3. Rearchitecting, rewriting or replacing applications.
Creating a new architecture by application or by service for applications that go beyond “Lift and Shift”. Traditional architectures for a data center application have little in common with “cloud-first” applications. Containers, Kubernetes, Big Data, new platform environments and specialized cloud services change the game. When extending your applications to the cloud with a hybrid model, or rewriting them to operate as standalone cloud applications, make sure to use a cloud appropriate architecture.
4. Meeting compliance and regulatory requirements in clouds “shared responsibility” model.
Make sure to understand and plan for the shared responsibility model for compliance, regulation and IT security of your cloud service provider. Here’s a good example from Amazon Web Services.
5. Understanding what your team can (and cannot) do.
This also includes understanding when you’ll need to step outside them to get help. Make sure to bring your team’s skills up to date with what they’ll need to develop or operate in the cloud. Plan for the right partners to bridge temporary gaps. When it comes to cloud migration, Virtana can help with our Cloud Migration Readiness services and implementation partners.
6. Keeping a handle on your cloud services costs as you migrate.
Without tools that span multiple cloud services and can help you to optimize cloud instance sizing and service use, it’s easy for cloud services monthly costs to get out of hand. Learn about The 5 Phases of Cloud Cost Management by reading our eBook. You can also give our CloudWisdom free trial a spin and see what you could be saving today.
7. Setting a measured, controlled and predictable cadence for transition.
Midsize to larger enterprises have hundreds to thousands of applications. If your initiative is to transition these to cloud environments, you’ll need good up front assessments of each application, and then to set a measured, achievable pace for transition to cloud deployment environments and SaaS applications.
8. When “Lifting and Shifting” to the cloud – Right-sizing your application workloads before migration.
The quickest way to migrate an application to the cloud is to capture existing applications and dependent infrastructure services and move them to a cloud or hosted private cloud environment. If your assessments of applications and your organization have led you to this as a first step, but sure that you’ve optimized your application first. Our Cloud Migration Readiness team can help you optimize your applications before the transition, and make sure that they’ll operate seamlessly once they reach the cloud.
9. Deploying the right tools for monitoring and managing your new hybrid or all-in-cloud environment.
Your existing monitoring and management tools are probably not going to be suitable for supporting a hybrid or cloud-based application (unless you are already using Virtana!).
10. Measuring and quantifying the results.
It doesn’t matter what a wonderful job your team has done in migrating your organization and applications to cloud environments if you don’t have the evidence to say that the migration has made a difference. Capture costs, SLAs, uptime data and user experience information before and after the transition to make it clear what a great job you team has delivered.
We’re the critical link that can help make your cloud migration go smoothly, and keep the migrated infrastructure that underlies your applications working with optimal cost, performance, and uptime – For public, private or hybrid clouds.
- Cloud Migration Readiness: Learn about our Cloud Migration Readiness offerings that can help make the process of migrating applications to the cloud fast, efficient, and effective.
- Capture and playback workloads before deployment: Our VirtualWisdom and WorkloadWisdom products work in tandem to first optimize and capture your existing application workloads, and them play then back in the cloud to simulate operation. The result, you know it will work before throwing the switch
- AIOPs driven, application-centric infrastructure management and monitoring – anywhere: Our CloudWisdom and VirtualWisdom products combine to give you AIOps driven cloud and on-premises application-centric problem resolution, performance management/monitoring, workload automation, as well as capacity and cost management.
Click here to try our products for free.